Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

IS IT WORTH THE MESS?

It was mine and Ashton's turn to do an adventure video for this week and as I was thinking about what to do, I couldn't stop thinking of painting. I hesitated at first, thinking how it might scare more parents from doing a painting activity than it would inspire them! As everyone well knows, painting with children (especially babies) is never a clean project. And as you will see after watching our adventure video . . . we made a mess!
Which brought me to ask the question afterwards "Was that worth the mess?" and I have to say, I 100% think it was . . . So today I want to blog my case and try and convince those out there who shy away from doing painting projects with their kids, to at least give it a try.
During our 'Tempo Painting' activity, Ashton and I ran into countless learning moments which totally justified the mess at the end. . . we got to physically experience different speeds of fast and slow. . . we sang "The wheels on the bus" and did the actions in the paint as we sang. . . we explored different shapes. . . we mixed colours and talked about the new colours as they evolved. . . we got to feel the texture and talk about how it felt on our hands. . . and, oh the fun when we got in the shower! We got to watch the water change colour all around us, another fantastic talking point!
Those are just a few of the wonderful learning moments we encountered and would have missed if I hadn't been daring enough to take the plunge and get messy for half an hour! (Let me mention that we did go in prepared! We wore our painting clothes, we had a tarpaulin down and a cloth to wipe off excess paint afterwards! - If you prepare well, its not as scary and the more you do it... the better you will both get at it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment