Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

CATERING FOR YOUR INFANT AND TODDLER

I just got asked a question from a friend via our Polkadots FACEBOOK page about how to do activities with children of different ages (ie. and infant and a toddler)... and I decided to answer it here because it is a challenge most parents who have an infant and a toddler face... and my mind is racing with different ideas, so I needed more space to write. The question is as follows...

"Okay prepare yourself for a long question:) What are your thoughts on including older siblings in the activities? I used one of your activities for inspiration with C today and completely lost F (hes 3 and a half) . I tried to include him but i think he got bored because it was too baby for him (we were lining up toy animals and doing their sounds then sang old macdonald), to the point that he started throwing the toys around and then distracted chase in a throwing/hugging cuddly toys game and I gave up. I am finding the transition from teaching one child to teaching two children different ages quite tricky. I’m trying to teach F his letters/numbers/writing etc and C gets bored and starts crying, or I try do stuff with C and then F starts playing up because hes bored. Everything seems to be a rushed 2min exercise to get through before the other one gets lonely. I don't know maybe I just have needy kids! Any ideas you have would be much appreciated."


(I'm going to bullet point my thoughts or else I could get extremely carried away!)

  • Start the activity with an activity that you know both ages will be interested in and can both relate to, like reading a story. Preferably one that relates to the topic of focus that you plan on doing in the activity. This will mentally prepare both children for the activity and give you opportunities to ask questions and talk to both children at their level. You may even ask your older child to help explain or point things out to your younger child so that they feel they are helping.
  • Specifically ask your older child to be your helper in teaching their younger sibling. Children like to have responsibilities. Praise them when they do a good job at being a "teacher".
  • If you are trying to teach your older child something specific (just as mentioned above - teaching letters and numbers) figure out a way to tie that into the activity for the younger child. Example from scenario above: Trying to teach younger child animal names and noises, but your older child letters or numbers. Put a piece of paper behind each animal and as you point to the animal and make the noise or same the name of the animal for your younger child, have your older child write the letter or name of the animal on the piece of paper. Or you may ask them how many legs the tiger has and they have to write the number on the paper.
  • Try to make time where you have individual learning time too, so that each child feels that they have had your undivided attention when it comes to learning and in turn has a positive learning experience. This will make them more inclined to approach the combined learning moments with a more positive approach and won't resent engaging in learning activities with you.
  • * (Last one... I could go on FOREVER!) Take photos of your adventures or activities, of your children engaging in learning together and share them with your other family members, with your child. Have your older child share how and what they learned together and how they helped to be a teacher. Reflect on the learning moments and discuss what you might do together next time.
I hope this can help you in some small way. If you want any further clarification or help on anything else! I love sharing... it gets my brain working! Thanks Shannon!

No comments:

Post a Comment