Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Giraffes Can't Dance By Giles Andreae


I fell in love with this book a couple of years ago when I was teaching. It has so many elements that I love... so where do I start!
A giraffe who finds himself with two left feet, or maybe just really long limbs which hinders his dancing ability really wants to be able to dance with his jungle friends at the Jungle Dance. After an embarrassing episode of dancing he finds himself feeling sorry for himself in the depths of the jungle where a friendly cricket helps him change his perspective on things and also on his ability to dance!
This story is a great story to be read one on one but also in a group situation. I love a book that gives you things that you can rein-act or discuss afterwards and this book has lots of those possibilities... As the author describes all of the different types of dances the animals are doing... how much fun would it be to try and do the waltz like the warthogs or the rock n roll like the rhinos!
I really enjoy the part of this story where the cricket coaches Gerald through finding his own rhythm and groove! The language is fantastically descriptive and every time I read it I can't help but encourage the children I am reading it with to try and do the moves Gerald might have done!

I like the different emotions that are explored throughout the story. Embarrassment, sadness, thoughtfulness, discovery, jubilation, excitement! For a children's book, the story really takes you on a journey!

The only negative point that I could possibly bring up is the way the animals mock Gerald by calling him "clumsy" and a "silly fool" But then the whole story is about Gerald not feeling accepted and finding a way to be happy with himself and in turn become accepted. So if addressed and discussed properly it can be turned into a positive point and good point of discusion

Guy Parker-Rees has also done an awesome job illustrating the story, with great colours and images that bring the story to life and compliments the journey Andreae takes you on with the storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment