Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Listening

How often do we really stop to watch our child play and interact with their environment, and take mental note as to how they like to learn? What techniques are they using? Are they needing further stimulation? Are we extending them and giving them opportunities to grow and develop their interests?

I had a bit of an "aha" moment the other day, when Ashton walked past the rock he had painted at his birthday party, that was sitting in the garden. He picked it up and started carrying it inside. I asked him what he wanted to do with it and he started stroking it backwards and forwards with his finger. It looked like he was doing a painting motion, so I asked him, "Would you like to paint your rock again?" With a big smile he looked up and said, "Yup!" 

We took his rock inside and set him up with his paints and brushes and he got to work. Now for those of you who have read any of my previous blog entries, you will know that Ashton is not very keen on art! I would be lucky to get him to sit for 1 minute to do anything artistic. But I know this is not his attention span, because he will sit for great lengths on time playing with his cars! So when Ashton asked to paint this rock, and proceeded to stay painting for the next 15 minutes, I was AMAZED!


 When I saw Ashton's attention starting to waver, I thought I would see if I could revive his interest and challenge him to stay with the painting a little longer by adding some new materials to the table. I quickly went outside and collected a range of other natural objects from around the garden. As soon as  I placed them on the table his focus came back and he was right back into it. He stayed for another 15 minutes. This may not seem like a long time for some, but for a 2 year old who doesn't usually like to paint, it was a break through and a great starting point!




So, what actually was the epiphany behind my "aha" moment? It was realizing that maybe Ashton doesn't dislike art, its just that he likes to express his creative outlet with different mediums to what I have been making available to him. If you have read today's Polkadots Blog, you will read about Dez's little girl and how much she enjoys to draw with simple black pen and do line drawings more than anything. If you read my recent blog about the inspiring little artist Aelita, you will see that she loves to express herself through acrylic paints onto canvas. Whats not to say that Ashton is more drawn to working with 3D objects or natural objects? I don't know, but its an avenue I'm going to explore further and really watch him and listen to him to see what he responds to most.

This little YouTube clip I have posted below is all about gifted children and how they have felt misheard, or not extended enough. I'm not saying Ashton is gifted, (he may be, who knows) but what I got from this little clip is that we need to take the time to get to know our children and really listen to what they need from us to help them learn the way they want to learn! There is no cookie cutter approach to teaching and learning! We just need to work with our children as individuals.


No comments:

Post a Comment