Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Toilet Training FUN!

This past week I decided to embark on the journey of toilet training with my little man! He is 2 years 4 months now and with our little lady due in only 10 weeks I was determined to get this toilet training done so I didn't have two children in nappies!

In my experience, toilet training is always given such a negative wrap and I can see why... poo's and wee's to clean up every 15-30 minutes is never fun. But I decided that I wanted to make this a fun adventure and positive experience for both of us... after all it is a big milestone for both child and parent!

So, with my addiction to filling up my week with constant outings and activities, I had to look at my calendar and find a week where I hadn't already booked in something each day and then made this my TOILET TRAINING WEEK... well actually I booked out three days! That was the best I can do, but the last two days I was still with him, I was just looking after 7 other children at the same time! (I've moved onto Polkadot child care duties while on maternity leave.) Booking out this week to really focus on toilet training was the best thing I could have done! I HAVE LOVED IT! I'm pretty exhausted, but Its been a joy!

So this has been the key points of my approach to toilet training that I feel has worked really well

  • PLAN TO PLAY OUTSIDE - preplan lots of activities that will keep them wanting to play outside so that when the accidents happen, you don't care!
  • EXPECT LITTLE on Day 1 - Day 1 is all about them getting used to the sensation of number 1's and 2's coming. Most of the time they don't make it to the potty (in fact Ashton didn't make it even once!) But if you aren't expecting them to make it there and your focus is more about them getting used to the sensation, then if they do make it to the potty in time, its a BONUS! This is not to say you don't try to get them on to the potty in time, but you just don't get upset about it if they don't.
  • Go NO UNDIES! - If possible, let them go the day without wearing underwear, its so much less laundry and they get used to the sensation A LOT QUICKER! When they have underwear on they still have a security of knowing there's something there to catch whatever is coming out and they become less urgent to get to the toilet/potty.
  • WATCH THEM LIKE A HAWK - The reason you need to block out 3 consecutive days and do nothings else other than focus on toilet training, is so you can follow them around everywhere they go and be ready to get the potty in place the minute they start displaying those signs of going 1's or 2's. Watching them like a hawk right from the work go, gets you accustomed to these cues as well.
  • CELEBRATE LIKE YOUR CRAZY - When they do make it to the toilet/potty in time, celebrate and congratulate them like they have never seen you behave before. Do a song and dance about it, give them high fives, give them a special reward (up to you as to what you choose for their reward.) 
  • GO OUT FOR SHORT TRIPS - Its hard to be housebound for 3 days! So, plan short trips away from the house... just to the park or down to the shops. Best to keep the outings, literally outings, so that if they do have an accident you're not having to do an embarrassing clean up job in public! These little outings help them get used to having to go pay attention to the signals of toileting even when they are out and can get distracted.
  • TAKE A POTTY or SHOW THEM WHERE THE TOILET IS - Whenever you go out, take the potty with you so that at a seconds notice you can avoid the accident. These first three days are about having as much success as possible! If you don't have the potty make sure you show them where the toilet is (wherever you are) so that they know they can go and also where to go.
Our Funny Toilet Training Moments! (Most of these moments happened on day 2, it was a great day in our house!)

  • On Day 2 Ashton started the day off with a roar, straight away he went wee's on the potty and I was ECSTATIC to say the least! Ashton was so taken with my performance he couldn't stop laughing... now thats saying something cause I'm quite a dramatic person at the best of times and he's used to it! LOL!
  • After this first success on the potty I had to share it with someone and Ashton was keen to tell his Dad, so we decided to call him at work... well, I don't think my husband quite knew how to respond to the excitement or the topic that came through the phone to him when he was surrounded by all his work mates (90% of them men). We got, "oh good, ok... ok... good!" LOL. Poor guy! He later sent a text saying, "Contrats on the wee's in the potty!" ;o)
  • Ashton had just finished going wee's on the potty all by himself, and as I started to do my congratulatory song and dance, he stood up off the potty, took one step back and took a bow! I ended up laughing so much I nearly wet my pants! - He continued to take a bow after every potty stop after that, as he knew it made me laugh! It made it a very humorous day!
  • Towards the end of the day when he had finished another visit on the potty, he stood up, and with his hands on his hips and a big sigh he said, "Oh man, I so busy!" - Its a hard life when you're toilet training!
I know the toilet training journey is not over yet, but I feel like we have got through the hardest stage. I know there can be set backs. But I have to say, this toilet training journey is one I have enjoyed and valued with my little man. I have got to spend heaps of time playing alongside him, getting to know him that much better. I have laughed so much its hurt! And now I have a big boy in undies! 

What are you're toilet training tips?
An ecstatic Ashton after his first #2's on the potty!
 And him laughing at his crazy mum! 

Ashton taking a bow after one of his successes on the potty at the playground!

1 comment:

  1. thats awesome...im too scared to try with my 2 yrs 2mth boy lol..my girl took a year so we going to wait till he is really ready

    ReplyDelete