Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Not Just Blocks

I LOVE wooden toys. . . but I especially love wooden blocks! There is just something so awesome about them, and something so spectacular about a completed block construction. So when I found out we were having a boy when I was pregnant, I started hunting down the best set of wooden blocks I could find. Then when Ashton was 6 months old I made the purchase, even though he could barely crawl at that stage! ha ha.

So, needless to say I have been waiting a while to be able to play blocks with Ashton for quite some time. I bring them out on regular occasion to see if he is interested in them and he will play with them a bit, but loose interest pretty quickly. Each time though I will preserver in building at least one tower to show him the potential of the blocks, in the hope that one day it will just click and he will want to play with me.

Well, today was the day!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, I was so excited! We played with his blocks for close to an hour and he didn't just build he added other objects and things to his build to make it even more interesting! His concentration and perseverance was great as he carefully tried to balance objects on top of the blocks, or drive his cars slowly amoungst them as though he had created a city for his cars to drive through.

At the moment Ashton is really into lining things up in rows or balancing objects, so you could see this throughout his construction. I just loved watching him in action, as he created a block city that just represented everything about him and where he is at with his development and interests right now. Seeing the animals scattered throughout it, the instruments balancing on the city scape. So cool! I am so excited to watch how his constructions continue to evolve.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing photo's you really got the moment I love it. Got to love wooden blocks too they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog. I love how you love being a Mum and get so excited about all the wonderful stages of development. They are there to get excited about, and it is definitely contagious! So thanks for your great blog!

    ReplyDelete