Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

ROUND AND ROUND THE DRYER

Ashton discovered the clothes dryer today. I had him with me while I was doing the laundry and as I put some of the clothes in the dryer and turned it on he became extremely fascinated. He couldn't take his eyes off it, and when I asked him if he wanted to touch it and moved him up to see closer he was quite unsure of it. (Which is very unlike Ashton, he is into everything an holds back for nothing!)

So we stayed and watched and talked about the dryer for a while. You may think "Ok, thats a little odd." But it was something he was very interested in and I quickly thought about what learning he may get out of it. We talked about the sound it was making as the clothes went around and around, and occasionally had a zipper hit up against the window, and we talked about the clothes going around and around in the hot air to get dry. I said the words "around and around" quite a lot, as this really was the object of his fascination.

After a while of saying "round and round" each time I would say it, he would grunt a little sound out after me. He was really taking it all in. Then as I walked away he continued to keep his eyes fixed on the dryer... as I turned the corner he lent down so he could still see it and made the same little sound as he tried to see it.

We continued on with the round and round fixation for a little while after that as we walked through the house and found other things that went round and round. We even sung the little rhyme as we did the action on his hand of, "Round and round the garden like a teddy bear, 1 step, 2 step and a tickley under there."

Although it was a random object of focus, I still think it was a good little learning moment and rather fun that it was impromptu (hence the no photos.) He is really starting to be very aware of his world and very determined to make sense of it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment