Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Like Myself By Karen Beaumount

I like this book for the general principle behind it being, loving yourself for who you are and not caring what anyone else thinks. I like it because it's zainy and fun in terms of some of the ideas they come up with for reasons why or how you would like yourself... because personally I think I'm quite a different person, which characteristics and traits that others may find odd. I like the illustrations in the book, they are really bright and exciting and being the story to life even more. And I like how it gets the imagination going for thinking of unusual things you may like about yourself that may often be forgotten. Oh and I like how it rhymes and explores opposites! . . . I think this book has got me into an "I Like" mode. ;o). It is a fun book though and a great read for picking up and encouraging positive self image.

Activities to do with this book:
* Have a spot light session. Either with your class or with your family. Take turns having someone sit in the "Spot Light" (which is just a special chair that you could decorate up all nice, so whoever is sitting in it feels special.) The person sitting in the spot light becomes the centre of attention and everyone else has a change to say what ever they like about that person.
* Alteratively, go around the room or ask the child you are reading to, to think of some things that they like about themselves. Try and think of some really unusual things, just like the little girl in the story did. Then talk about what you might do if someone said or did something to you which wasn't very nice, talk about positive reaction strategies so that they feel confident to deal with it when it may occur.


No comments:

Post a Comment